Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Carry-on Apple Pies






It all started when I woke up yesterday to this recipe in the newspaper.....
I don't bake very often (because I don't like the mess) but I thought if I could do this, it might make a nice blog post similar to many I have seen and drooled over, so I gave it a try....

I even had the little star cutter on hand from previous craft projects....
I don't believe I have used my handy-dandy Pampere'd Chef crimper yet, so I dug it out of the back of the utensil drawer and presto!.....
A little sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar and ready to bake.....
 I think they turned out every bit as pretty as the ones in the newspaper.......totally excited!!

And since I had leftover dough, I opened a can of cherry pie filling......definitely messier and I found out the cherry limit is three! They were a little leaky after baking but still yummy! The cherry ones got a heart cut-out instead of the star....
And they made it past the taste test.........yessssssssss!
One last picture.....I couldn't throw away all those pie crust scraps to I made them into a mini pie......
Now off to do the dishes.........thanks for looking! If anyone is interested in the recipe, leave me a comment and I will post it.
Ok, here's the recipe:                  APPLE HAND PIES

2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter
3 small baking apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced (approx. 2 cups)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
Two 14.1oz packages refrigerated pie dough (each pkg has 2 rounds of dough)
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add apples and 1/3cup of the sugar mixture. Saute for 3 to 4 min. or until just tender.
In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, lemon juice, and water, then add to the apples and stir. Cook until the juices thicken and bubble, about 1 min. Set the filling aside to cool.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
One at a time, on a lightly floured surface unroll each of the 4 rounds of pie dough. Using a 3-inch circular cutter, cut out 9 rounds from each piece of dough for a total of 36 rounds.
In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk.
To assemble the pies, place 1 dough round in front of you. Lightly brush around the edges of the round with the egg mixture. Place 2 teaspoons of apple filling in the center of the dough. Top with a second round of dough. Gently press down so the tip round meets the edges of the bottom round. Use a fork to crimp and seal all around the edges. Brush top with more of the egg mixture and sprinkle with the reserved cinnamon and sugar. Use a paring knife to poke a hole in the top to vent steam. Repeat with the remaining dough rounds and filling. Place the hand pies on the baking sheets leaving 1 inch between them. Bake for 18 to 20 min. or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for 5 min. then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
(I used my mini cookie cutter to cut the star or heart in the top round before placing it on top) Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I would love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melani ~
    I would LOVE that recipe!
    The pies look absolutely scrumptious!
    Great pictures.
    ~Peggy Buck

    ReplyDelete